Do You Need a Licence Under the SFCR?

Category: Uncategorized

On January 15, 2019 Canada’s new Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) come into force. While all of the requirements under the new regulations do not need to be implemented on January 15, a licence (if you require one) will be.

To determine whether you need a licence check out the Licensing section of the SFCR web portal. I found the Licensing Interactive Tool to be particularly useful.

In general, only food processors engaged in trade outside of their province will require a licence. However, there are exceptions and I highly recommend all food processors and distributors go through the exercise of determining whether they need a licence.

Also be aware that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) will not accept SFCR licence applications sent by email or fax. Licences must be obtained online through their new My CFIA service.